FDHS Graduating Class of 2014
Seniors and Parents: the following is extremely important graduation information. It will be mailed home in February, too:
Fort Dorchester High School’s 20th commencement ceremony will be held Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. at the North Charleston Coliseum. Graduates should arrive no later than 1:00 p.m. We are the second graduation ceremony that day so parking likely will be a problem. Additionally, there is a non-denominational Baccalaureate service May 28, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. at Riverbluff Church (5421 Riverbluff Parkway in Whitehall, across from Goodwill). Graduates participating in the Baccalaureate Ceremony should arrive no later than 6:30 p.m., and they must wear their caps and gowns to participate.
In order for scholarship information or branch of military being joined after graduation to be noted in the program, graduates must fill out the form in our Counseling office or go to: docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform and fill it out online by April 25, 2014.
To ensure a dignified graduation ceremony and Baccalaureate service we have adopted the following guidelines:
1. The administration and graduation coordinator will meet with the senior class during the graduation seminar on May 19, 2014 to discuss the seriousness of the ceremony and the expected behavior.
2. Students participating in the ceremony will be required to attend the seminar, even if they attend evening school/DCCTC/GAP or TTC. The main one will be May 19, 2014 during school hours. Students who do not participate on that day will have to come to a make-up session in Room 601 on May 20, 21 or 22 at 6:45 a.m. All Seniors must have attended the seminar or a make-up session to participate in the graduation ceremony.
3. Also, all debts and obligations must be paid by 3:00 p.m. May 16, 2014 in order to participate in the graduation ceremony and to pick up caps and gowns on May 23, 2013 during the student’s lunch (evening school/DCCTC/GAP/TTC students must make their own arrangements).
4. Appropriate dress is required.
a. Ladies: Dress or a blouse with a dress skirt (HEM MAY NOT be visible below the graduation gown), neckline should be completely covered by the graduation gown, dress shoes (no athletic footwear or flip flop type shoes).
b. Gentlemen: Dress pants (no denim/jeans or athletic pants; black or dark color preferred), white dress shirt with a dark tie, dress shoes and dark socks (no athletic footwear, Crocs, sandals or flip flops) – NO T-SHIRTS or polo-style pullovers.
c. Both: Sunglasses, headgear, flip-flops, sandals, tennis shoes are not permitted
5. Unacceptable behavior during the graduation ceremony or failure to comply with appropriate dress requirements will result in removal from the ceremony.
6. All Extended Year/APEX and make up work must be settled by May 23, 2014 at 5:00 pm. Students working past this deadline will graduate in the summer school.
7. Students who have not settled all monetary obligations and who are not passing all courses needed for graduation will NOT be allowed to participate in the ceremony. Please take care of all obligations and make up work prior to 5:00 pm, May 23, 2014.
8. Seniors with disciplinary infractions requiring an expulsion hearing and/or enrollment in ScIP (School Intervention Program) must complete the program prior to graduating. You may not have time to do so before graduation and would run the risk of missing graduation with your class and having to graduate in summer school instead.
We request that you review these guidelines with your graduate. The guidelines represent a contractual agreement regarding appropriate behavior and dress. We look forward to a dignified ceremony that allows graduates and their families to hear names as they are called out. To ensure proper decorum, we have asked the North Charleston Coliseum staff and the North Charleston Police Department to intervene in excessive demonstrations by our guests such as in the case of noise making devices, which are banned. We are sure you understand the nature of our request and will honor it on that day.
Questions should be directed to Willie Dasinger, graduation coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org